Valentino Rossi insists on his intention to fulfill his contract signed with Yamaha, which expires in 2020, to end the rumors that pointed to a possible withdrawal at the end of the year.
Brno.- At the gates of the tenth stop of the calendar, the Italian has completed the worst start of his MotoGP career: he occupies the sixth place in the general table, with 80 points, is 105 behind of the leader (Marc Márquez), He has only climbed the podium twice and he has finished on the ground in three of the last four races.
That and the 40 years that appear in his identity card made someone think to retire him at the end of the season, even though his current agreement with Yamaha does not expire until the end of next season.
After the summer vacations, in which he has had time to rest, train and testify at Uccio’s wedding, his soul friend and longtime assistant, Rossi unequivocally settled those voices.
“The news that points to my retirement are false and unfounded; I will race this year and next year, there is no doubt about that. But this is also known by those who have written that I was going to retire, ”said Valentino Rossi from Brno, where he accumulates a total of five victories in the category of heavy motorcycles, although the last one is from 2009.
“The easiest thing in the world is to say that I retire. But that is not a big problem for me, the problems are the bad results that we have this year, ”added the Italian, who in the test on Monday plans to get on the first version of the prototype that Yamaha has projected with a view to 2020.
“We cannot concentrate in 2020 because there are still ten races left of this 2019, and they are many. We come from four great races very difficult because in them we expected to obtain good results and we did not achieve it. You have to work better than we have done so far, ”said Il Dottore, who is not at all comfortable with the current M1. “In fact, I am not even able to go as fast as last year,” defines #46.